By signing the covenant, we recognise the value of serving personnel, veterans, service leaders and their families bring to our business. As a sign of our commitment to the scheme, we pledge to support military personnel by demonstrating the following:
- Promoting that we are an armed forces-friendly organisation
- Seeking to support the employment of veterans young and old and working with the Career Transition Partnership (CTP). In order to establish a tailored employment pathway for service leavers
- Striving to support the employment of service spouses and partners
- Endeavouring to offer a degree of flexibility in granting leave for service spouses and partners before, during and after a partner’s deployment
- Seeking to support our employees who choose to be members of the reserve forces, including by accommodating their training and deployment where possible
The first duty of Government is the defence of the realm. Our Armed Forces fulfil that responsibility on behalf of the Government, sacrificing some civilian freedoms, facing danger and, sometimes, suffering serious injury or death as a result of their duty. Families also play a vital role in supporting the operational effectiveness of our Armed Forces. In return, the whole nation has a moral obligation to the members of the Naval Service, the Army and the Royal Air Force, together with their families. They deserve our respect and support, and fair treatment.
Those who serve in the Armed Forces, whether Regular or Reserve, those who have served in the past, and their families, should face no disadvantage compared to other citizens in the provision of public and commercial services. Special consideration is appropriate in some cases, especially for those who have given most such as the injured and the bereaved.
This obligation involves the whole of society: it includes voluntary and charitable bodies, private organisations, and the actions of individuals in supporting the Armed Forces. Recognising those who have performed military duty unites the country and demonstrates the value of their contribution. This has no greater expression than in upholding this Covenant.